Our favorite pumpkin pasta recipe ❤️
My Favorite Pumpkin Pasta Recipe…thanks to Rachel Ray!
I can’t say that this is “my” recipe. It belongs to the great Rachel Ray. I tweak it just a little to suit my own taste. This is my tried and true family favorite recipe.
Really friends, this is delicious!
- 1 pound pasta (I use Penne or Rigatoni)
- 1 pound turkey sausage (in my opinion, the taste of pork sausage is too strong for this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 finely chopped shallots
- 3-4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken stock (truth be told, I use 1 c. stock and 1 c. white wine but either is fine)
- ½ cup cream
- 1 can pumpkin puree (NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING PLEASE)
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
- ½ teaspoon ground or fresh nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Salt and Pepper
- Grated Parmigiano-Romano cheese
- Add 1 tbl. olive oil to deep, hot skillet. Add sausage and brown. Drain any fat and set cooked sausage aside
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, shallots and garlic to the same pan and saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- If using white wine, add it now and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Add chicken stock, pumpkin, brown sugar and all spices. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
Return sausage back to pan, add cream and a handful of grated cheeseNote: this is when I boil the pasta
- Simmer for 10 minutes until sauce has thickened
- TASTE, TASTE, TASTE, add more spice, sugar, cream, whatever your heart desires. Make it YOUR recipe.
- Toss the cooked pasta into sauce, add grated cheese and enjoy.
- Personal preference, I prefer spicy turkey sausage but of course, you can use mild.
- I also garnish with fresh sage…it just looks so good!
**original recipe from “Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta, Rachel Ray, 30 minute meals**